Meet our pastor
A unique aspect of the Christian Science church is that two books are ordained as the pastor of our church: The Bible and Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy.
In a message addressed to The Mother Church (The First Church of Christ, Scientist in Boston, Massachusetts) as the Leader of the Christian Science movement, Mary Baker Eddy, wrote “Your dual and impersonal pastor, the Bible, and “Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures,” is with you; and the Life these give, the Truth they illustrate, the Love they demonstrate, is the great Shepherd that feedeth my flock, and leadeth them “beside the still waters.” (Miscellaneous Writings 1883-1896, p. 322)
Our Sunday services consist mainly of the reading of a Christian Science weekly Bible Lesson. (These are prepared for branch churches around the world by The Mother Church.) This “Lesson Sermon” is read by two lay readers who are elected by the members to read for a year at a time. This Bible lesson is available for study prior to the service, but on Sundays we come together to hear it read and sing hymns of praise on either side of that Lesson.
On Wednesday evenings the testimony meeting is run by the First Reader, who reads exclusively from the Bible and Science and Health, on a topic of the Reader’s choosing. That is then followed by an opportunity for anyone in the congregation to stand up and give their testimonies of healing or share enlightened ideas they have gained from their spiritual study and practice.
Useful links and further information
- The Christian Science homepage – find out more about Christian Science and its worldwide activities
- JSH-Online – find online articles, podcasts, poems, blogs, community and inspiration
- Youth focused content – connecting a new generation of spiritual thinkers with each other and their world.
- The Christian Science Monitor – get worldwide news from this Pulitzer Prize winning paper
- The Bible and Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy – read them online
- Committee on Publication – connect with media information, resources, and a great blog!
- Mary Baker Eddy Library for the Betterment of Humanity
- Longyear Museum – find historical information on the life and times of Mary Baker Eddy
- Daily Lift – click here to hear and/or sign up to receive these inspirational two minute “thought for the day” podcasts.